In 1889, Julius Hahne opened the first Hahne specialty shop. By 1911, a full-service department store was built in downtown Newark, NJ. As the 20th century drew to a close, the legendary department store had run its course leaving a 441,000 square foot building that once anchored a bustling neighborhood. In 2016, we were approached to conceive of a new brand identity for the space, which was about to debut its next life as a stylish apartment building with a Whole Foods on the ground level. The assignment was complicated. Rich with history, energized by the potential of turning a new leaf, yet the risk of alienating the community that grew up with the Hahne Building was a concern for all.